I’m a romantic at heart and Scott Williams of Crofton, Md., recently made my day.
According to a Capital News Story distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services, Williams is frantically searching for someone who will give him two tickets to Thursday’s papal Mass at Nationals Park in Washington, D.C.
Williams said his girlfriend, who is completing her theology degree at Mt. St. Mary’s University, wants to attend the Mass and see Pope Benedict XVI.
Williams wants to propose to her, either at the Mass, or present them to her during his proposal beforehand — the wire story wasn’t clear about that.
One thing is clear – those papal Mass tickets are hot items.
Here’s the thing: It’s wrong to sell such tickets, according to the Archdiocese of Washington.
A spokesman for the archdiocese is quoted as saying a Roman Catholic Church Mass is considered a sacrament, and scalping the tickets (which were free, but in limited supply) is equivalent to selling a sacrament, which is forbidden according to church law.
This has not stopped some folks from trying to sell the tickets, though.
As of April 11, there were 28 “tickets wanted” posts in the Washington section of classified ad Web site Craigslist, with one post offering to sell, according to the Capital News Service story. The story went on to say that the Archdiocese of Washington had the site remove about 20 posts selling the tickets or passes.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 100558Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15302OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13338Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8709Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8075Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8036How to help tornado victims
- 7986Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6703Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6459Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5978Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients