More on tithing
I struck a nerve when I ran a small brief on tithing in April.
For those who are not familiar with the term, tithing is the practice of giving 10 percent or more of one’s income to the church.
I asked readers to let me know if they tithe or not and they were more than happy to respond. We ran several comments, but we got so many we did not have room to run them all in the newspaper.
I’ve chosen to run some more at the bottom of this post. Also I wanted to alert readers to the Dave Ramsey column in Monday’s You! section of The Oklahoman. Many may know of Ramsey, a Christian man who has developed financial management principles (many based on Scripture) that are being taught in many places including churches.
Ever hear of Financial Peace University? Well, Ramsey created it. In his Monday column, Ramsey answers a reader’s question about bills and tithes — whether one should pay bills or pay tithes when money is tight.
Look below for more readers’ comments on tithing:
Nora Copeland, Purcell: “Concerning the issue of tithing, the New Testament says little about tithing. Each time (tithing is mentioned) goes back to the Old Testament. … As rules for Christians, there is no certain amount I could find. In 1 Cor. 16: 1-2, Paul told them to lay aside on the first day of the week. In 2 Cor. 9:7 it says ‘Every man according as he purposed in his heart, so let him give: not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loveth a cheerful giver’.
“I hope all people will look at this last scripture and keep it in mind when considering how much to give.”
And Georgia Williams of Lawton said: ”I find it ironic that religious bodies that bind tithing on its members do not enforce any of the other Old Testament laws.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients