In Search of Oklahomans
Downtown San Antonio is teeming with Southern Baptists, most wearing their annual meeting badges.
A sign in the press room Monday night proclaimed that 6,000 had registered as of 4 p.m. Monday.
I visited the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center Monday so that I would know my way around this morning.
I’m glad I did. I heard a distinctive voice as I waited for a shuttle to my hotel. I turned around and saw the Rev. Anthony Jordan, executive director-treasurer of the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma, and his wife Polla. After talking to them I walked across the street and made a remark to passersby that I was not from such a big city as San Antonio (at least not one that is as busy at 10 at night).
“Where are you from?,” they asked.
“Oklahoma City,” I said.
Turns out the “passersby” were Rev. Randy Wisniewsky and his wife Peggy who live in Woodward. He is senior pastor of Crown Heights Baptist Church there and they were on their way to a late evening seminar on missional churches.
It’s a small world.
Pastor Wisniewsky said he and his wife attend the convention’s annual meetings when it’s affordable and close to home.
He said he likes the convention’s Cooperative Program which encourages churches to move in the same direction in regards to their giving and other efforts.
“We figure we can do more all being in cooperation together,” said pastor Wisniewsky. “It’s helping to grow the kingdom of God.”
OK. Southern Baptist Convention Frank Page just convened the denomination’s 2007 annual meeting.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17348Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13445OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11653'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11177Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8712Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7813Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7268Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7021Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6811Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients