I did not disappear into a black hole. I repeat: I did not disappear into a black hole.
So much happened today, the first day of the Southern Baptist Convention’s annual meeting, that I am just now finding time to blog.
The Baptist messengers, more than 8,500 of them, have left us Baptist watchers with a mystery to ponder overnight.
The Rev. Rick Garner, an Ohio pastor, made a motion tonight to reaffirm the Baptist Faith and Message of 2000 as the convention’s “instrument of doctrinal accountability.”
By doing so Garner said he was hoping to get the convention’s messengers to vote on whether or not the doctrinal statement is sufficient and preclude SBC boards and institutions from making decisions outside its parameters.
There was much discussion both for and against Garner’s motion and a vote by ballot was called.
This was shortly after 8 p.m. The convention convened at around 10:15 p.m. with no one letting us know what the final vote was.
I’m sure the ballots were still being counted, but it is a “wait and see” that is of much interest to many people.
The Rev. Wade Burleson, pastor of Emmanuel Baptist Church in Enid, said he believes Garner’s motion was approved by the messengers.
He said the approval would be “huge” in terms of sending a message to SBC entities that he believes now seek to “narrow the parameters” of what it means to be a Southern Baptist.
Lots of folks are curious. I guess we will all know something in the morning.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17094Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9372Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9356Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6811Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6759Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6251Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6008UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 5965Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4858Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients