Seven Deadly Sins 101
If your knowledge of the Seven Deadly Sins extends only as far as the 1995 movie “Seven” with Brad Pitt and Gwyneth Paltrow, never fear.
Here’s a brief overview based on a tidbits and research from various sources.
According to Bibleinfo.com, the seven deadly sins were first compiled by Pope Gregory I around the year 600. They are pride, covetousness, lust, anger, gluttony, envy, and sloth. Perhaps unwilling to leave out any thought of hope, Gregory also compiled a list of the seven virtues: faith, hope, charity, justice, prudence, temperance, and fortitude.
They are not written in the Bible as such, but were seen as spiritual markers for people to steer clear from if they wanted to avoid Hell and enter Heaven.
Proverbs 6: 16-19 does list seven things the Lord “hates” but they are not Gregory’s seven deadly sins. Here’s what Proverbs says: “These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among the brethren.”
You also might be interested to know:
– According to sevendeadlysins.com, a Web site that contains a bunch of insightful information, Pope Gregory actually ranked the sins from the most serious to the least serious. He ranked the sins like this: pride, envy, anger, sadness, avarice, gluttony, and lust. However, medieval theologian Thomas Aquinas did not think the sins could or should be ranked.
– Gregory had “sadness” as one of his original seven deadly sins, but it was changed to “sloth” in the seventeenth century by the Roman Catholic Church.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients