Giving up is hard to do
Most folks fast from eating certain foods during Lent.
A few years back we talked to several readers and found that chocolate and sweets, in general, were some of the food items many people vowed to stay away from during the season. One young lady hoped to give up soft drinks for the season.
Lots of other people abstain from other things like certain behaviors or habits.
I used to attend a United Methodist church here in the city and I found the Lenten season very meaningful.
With those memories in mind, I have wondered if I might sacrifice or give up something for Lent.
I don’t think giving up some type of food would be very meaningful because I am doing that anyway as part of a weight loss program that begins this week.
However there are a few habits that I could forego that would reflect a great sacrifice.
One of them is my penchant for watching old sitcoms at the end of the day.
I tape some of my favorites like “Frasier” and then I might catch “The Cosby Show” on Nick at Nite or “The Golden Girls” on Lifetime.
Now giving up my nightly ritual of watching those shows — that I’ve probably seen a thousand times — would be a sacrifice.
I could instead use that time to entend my prayer time and bible-reading.
It’s something to think about.
I’ll decide soon. The night wears on and my handoften creeps to the remote about this time …
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients