Morality at the movies
You’re trying to find a family friendly movie. Read on:
Screenwriter Teri Haux says she grew up loving movies so much she knew she wanted to write them.
Haux has written a new book “Movie Viewer Extraordinaire: Discerning the Influences of Movies on Your Freedom, Family and Happiness.”
She offers the following tips for families looking for movies that match their morals:
1. Choose the morals and standards you want to live by. Examine the ideas and concepts that are important to you, and that you want to pass on to your children. Before you understand what you don’t want in a movie, you really need to come to terms with the things that you DO want. Make your choices your standards, and use them as the guidelines to navigate your family’s movie wish list.
2. Regulate ALL media that you and your family experience. For all the people who want to ban certain films and television shows, the truth is that it is far easier to simply choose and guide what your own family watches. Movies that feature more sex or violence than we would like will always be around. We simply don’t have to watch them. The natural extension of that is being a vigilant parent who knows not only what your kids are doing, but also what they are watching.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13976Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9656Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9589Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8454Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6577Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6030Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5383Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 4779Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4600Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 4155Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients