Internet fast anyone?...
The more I think about the so-called Facebook Lenten fast, the more I think that it is an idea whose time has come.
Here’s what I think about it.
At my house, my teens are often arguing about computer usage.
Who’s getting on the computer?
Who forgot to turn off the monitor? … the printer?…
Having more than one computer doesn’t help either.
You see, one teen wants to get on the computer that his sibling is on for any number of reasons.
And so it goes.
Sometimes, I play referee by just shutting down all the computers.
So, I look at the idea of adults fasting from Facebook this Lenten season with a new perspective. Plus I just read a story about school students in England who are fasting from the social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace during Lent: Schoolchildren fast.
I like this idea! I LOVE this idea!
Not that my kids are all that into the social networking sites. I’m just thinking that perhaps an Internet ”fast” could be in order. Limiting the amount of time spent on the Internet isn’t a bad idea anyway, particularly if there is no homework involved.
I’m going to broach the subject with the teens, see what happens.
I’ve already got another idea: How about a fast from video games?
That should go over well with my son …
Look for more Lent-related blog postings here on the Religion and Values blog in the days ahead.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients