Combining two loves
As promised in today’s edition of The Oklahoman (Aug. 29), I have included an excerpt from “God Moments From a Deer Stand.”
The book was written by a local ministry leader, Mike Fackler, who is minister of middle school ministries at Crossings Community Church, 14600 N Portland.
I borrowed the book from Fackler, hoping to incorporate an excerpt from the devotional into today’s story about ministries that reach out to people who like hunting and the outdoors. Alas, lack of space prevented me from making that addition and then I thought “Aha — I can put it in the blog.”
So here is the excerpt, along with a thank you to Fackler for sharing his passion for his two loves — the Lord and hunting:
“Dressed For Success,” an excerpt from “God Moments From a Deer Stand” by Mike Fackler.
Use every piece of God’s armor to resist the enemy in the time of evil, so that after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the sturdy belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News, so that you will be fully prepared. In every battle you will need faith as your shield to stop the fiery arrows aimed at you by Satan. Put on the salvation as your helmet, and tak
I had been in my tree stand long enough to fasten my safety strap around the tree, hoist my bow up to me, and begin to secure my bow hanger into a nearby tree limb. You would think it would have been easy to screw that little piece of metal into the branch, but my heart was racing. I didn’t want to make a movement that would alert game to my presence. After what seemed like 10 minutes, I decided to give up and hold onto my bow for the duration of my hunt.
No sooner had I packed the bow hanger back into my day pack, and I heard a loud “Snap!” Not more than 10 yards away was a little yearling button buck making his way through the woods, stopping just long enough to take a bite of a few sugar beats I had set out. I hadn’t been in the woods 10 minutes and already, I was seeing deer!
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 27859Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15705Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9908Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9405Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8491Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8399Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7581Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7449Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6635UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients