Jewish soldiers get Hebrew Bibles
The distribution comes just in time for the Jewish High Holy Days, which begin with Rosh Hashana at sunset tonight.
The society, in partnership with the Jewish Welfare Board Chaplains Council, produced 10,000 copies of the Bible.
The society said the new military Tanakh, funded by the Everett Foundation, the society and individual donors, contains prayers and blessings, including prayers recited in a time of danger, during illness and for a safe journey on the road, and the traditional blessing over meals.
Unlike the one shown at left, the military edition features a cover with the official camouflage patterns from each branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. The society’s news release said the Bibles are compact enough to fit into a military uniform pocket.
“JPS has a long tradition of making the Hebrew Bible accessible to all,” Carol Hupping, the society’s chief operating officer and publishing director.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients