Former senator to discuss his movie "Heaven's Rain" on national TV
Former state Sen. Brooks Douglass (pictured) is scheduled to discuss his movie “Heaven’s Rain” on a special two-hour NBC Dateline episode set to air at 8 p.m. Friday.
Douglass is scheduled to promote the Dateline episode with an appearance on NBC’s Today show, which on Friday morning. The Today show airs at 7 a.m.
The Dateline episode will focus on the brutal 1979 attack on the Douglass family in their rural Oklahoma home, in which two criminals claimed the lives of Brooks Douglass’ father and mother, the Rev. Richard Douglass and Marilyn Douglass. Brooks Douglass, who was 16 at the time of the attack, and his sister Leslie, who was 12, survived the attack and eventually testified against the men who killed their parents.
Douglass went on to become a state senator, serving in the state Legislature for 12 years. He sponsored numerous peices of victims’ rights legislation during that time.
He co-wrote, produced and starred in the feature film “Heaven’s Rain,” which enjoyed a premiere and and limited run in Oklahoma and Los Angeles, Calif., in September 2010. Douglass told NewsOK’s Angi Bruss that the movie is set to open in more theaters in Oklahoma and Texas at the end of January and nationwide sometime in March.
Much of the movie was filmed in Oklahoma and features some well-known Oklahoma sites such as the state Capitol building, the Governor’s Mansion, the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester and First Baptist Church of Oklahoma City.
Douglass, who now lives in Los Angeles, Calif., has proven in several interviews with The Oklahoman and other media that he is a willing to talk about one of the most horrible times of his life. He has done so with a grace and dignity that many people might not be able to muster in the aftermath of such a tragedy.
“Heaven’s Rain” was directed and co-written by Paul Brown and stars Douglass as his father Richard Douglass, Mike Vogel who portrays teen and young adult Brooks Douglass, Taryn Manning (who now stars in the TV show “Hawaii Five-O”) portrays Leslie Douglass and Kelly Curran portrays Marilyn Douglass, Brooks Douglass’ mother.
For more information on the Dateline episode, visit: Dateline: Brooks Douglass and “Heaven’s Rain.”
For more information about the movie, visit: www.heavensrainmovie.com.
For Brooks Douglass interview with NewsOK’s Angie Bruss, visit: “Brooks Douglass discusses his new movie.”
For my stories on the former senator and “Heaven’s Rain,” visit: “Feeling Heaven’s Rain.”
Photo caption: Brooks Douglass, portrays his father, the Rev. Richard Douglass, and Nicolas Braico portrays young Brooks in the feature film “Heaven’s Rain.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13976Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9656Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9589Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8454Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6577Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6030Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5383Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 4779Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4600Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 4155Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients