Perk, I hardly knew ya
I don’t think anyone was more surprised than me to learn that Kendrick Perkins had been traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder.
I told my teenagers and they had a good laugh.
I’m a Boston Celtics fan (yes, I admit it) and I’d nicknamed Perkins “Devil Man” because he always seemed to have a scowl on his face and because of the way his thick eyebrows seemed to create a fuzzy uni-brow ala Groucho Marx when he frowned. He was perpetually in frown-mode.
I told my kids I’ll have to stop calling him “Devil Man” now that he’s on our team.
The nickname had nothing to do with his playing. As a Celtics fan, I was heartbroken when he got hurt and couldn’t play in Game 7 in the Celtics-L.A. Lakers battle for the NBA championship last year. Yep, he is a difference maker and I think if he had been healthy and in that last game, Kobe, Pau and the boys might not have pulled that one out.
Ok, enough about the past.
So I read with great interest Jenni Carlson’s story about Perkins being an altar boy at his church growing up. Perkins, I hardly knew ya! Guess the mean-mug look is the persona he puts on for the games. Hey, if it helps you win man, I say keep on doing it.
Anyway, I’ve issued myself a cease and desist on the nickname on my man Perk. Now that he’s suiting up in Thunder blue, he’s an angel in my book.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36331Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15449Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9864Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9824Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9353Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7992Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7895Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7342Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6304Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6142UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients