"The Other Wes Moore"
I just finished reading a great book called “The Other Wes Moore (Random House).”
It was given to me by Masie Bross, director of Whiz Kids, a faith-based tutoring and mentoring program sponsored by City Care. Through the program, inner-city and suburban churches join together to offering free tutoring and mentoring for children attending inner city schools in the Oklahoma City area.
The author of “The Other Wes Moore” is Wes Moore. He will be keynote speaker at the Whiz Kids’ annual charity event Seeds of Hope set for 6 p.m. March 27 at the Cox Convention Center.
I had not heard of the book but I could not put it down last weekend until I finished it. It’s both captivating and heartbreaking and I’m not surprised that it was a New York Times bestseller.
The book tells the author’s own story and that of another young man with the same name. Both men grew up under challenging circumstances.
Wes Moore, the book’s author, grew up to become a Rhodes Scholar, White House fellow and youth advocate. The other Wes Moore is serving a life sentence for his role in an armed robbery in which a police officer was killed.
The author shares both their stories in a way that readers can come to their own conclusion about how they took such different paths.
For more information about Whiz Kids and the Seeds of Hope event, call 602-2815 or go to www.whizkidsok.org.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90799Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 6362Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6064Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients