Palm Sunday: Will Oklahoma City Thunder fans skip church?
Oklahoma City Thunder games on Sunday are no surprise these days, since humble star Kevin Durant (shown below) and the wildly popular Oklahoma City NBA team have played quite a few games on Sundays.
But this Sunday, April 1, Thunder game time is noon.
And here’s the thing: This Sunday, April 1 is Palm Sunday, the day Christians commemorate Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem.
Palm Sunday marks the beginning of Holy Week, one of the most significant time periods on the Christian liturgical calendar.
How many Thunder fans are going to skip church to get the game or at least watch it on TV?
Should they be afraid that a lightening bolt from the sky will rip them to shreds if they nix their church plans in favor of watching the Thunder battle it out with the Chicago Bulls? Would that thought keep them out of the arena seats or off the couch instead of in the pews?
I do know that many churches offer several Sunday worship services and some Thunder fans could always go to an early service which would give them time to get to the arena in time for tip-off. Others could simply miss the first part of the game and catch as much as they can after church. Some churchgoers who are Thunder fans (but not ticket holders) will catch the game on TV, maybe a little later than usual. And if this isn’t a good time for the DVR and TiVo, I don’t know what is.
So pastors, if there are some folks missing from the pews on Palm Sunday, don’t be too surprised. It’s no joke (April 1 is April Fools Day), just some avid fans showing their support for their team.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients