More on Chick-fil-A and 'culture war'
Yesterday I blogged about a furor that arose after Chick-fil-A’s president Dan Cathy said he supports the
Cathy’s detractors have included the Jim Henson Company, best known as the folks who bring us the Muppets. The restaurant chain founder also found a champion in former governor and presidential candidate Mike Huckabee who is proposing a “Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day.”
Today comes the news that a Baptist theological seminary also wants to show its support for Cathy and Chick-fil-A by making a big purchase from the restaurant on Aug. 1, the day designated as the appreciation day. The Southern Baptist school is Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas.
At least one story I read on the subject today said the fast food chain finds itself in the midst of a so-called culture war.
I thought Oklahomans might be particularly interested in this issue because the state’s predominant Christian denomination is Southern Baptist and quite a few Southern Baptist leaders likely have ties with the seminary. Also, Cathy has been a frequent visitor to Oklahoma, with one of his most recent visits in September 2011, when a new Chick-fil-A opened in the N Pennsylvania Avenue/Memorial Road corridor.
Read on about this latest development:
Associated Baptist Press: “Seminary supports Chick-fil-A”
(AP Photo above: This 2009 photo shows Chick-fil-A founder Truett Cathy and his son Dan Cathy at the company’s headquarters in Atlanta.)
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients