Review: 'She's Out of My League' has heart, laughs
Can a blond bombshell really fall for a bumbling geek? Maybe in a terminally awkward and frustrated schoolboy’s fondest fantasy. Definitely in the puerile imaginations of screenwriters Sean Anders and John Morris, who took audiences for a ridiculously raunchy ride in “Sex Drive.”
Now they’ve brought to life the answer to every love-starved pencil-neck’s dream with “She’s Out of My League,” a comedy that leans more toward romance than raunch, although there’s still enough of the latter to earn a solid R rating.
But this romp from first-time director Jim Field Smith has its share of laughs and even an admirable moral center, starring a talented if relatively unknown group of young players. A gangly Jay Baruchel (“Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist”) is well-cast and likable as Kirk, a 20-something Pittsburgh airport security agent who still hangs with his high school buddies (Mike Vogel, T.J. Miller and Nate Torrence), who are also his co-workers, and is perfectly content with his lot in life — except for its lack of a girlfriend. A vivacious Alice Eve (“Crossing Over”) fairly dazzles as Molly, a gorgeous blonde who passes through Kirk’s checkpoint one day and, in her rush to catch a plane, leaves behind her cell phone.
Kirk has a perfect excuse to contact Molly when she comes back home, and when he returns her phone, she rewards him with a pair of tickets to a hockey game, totally missing the fact that this dream girl is asking him out on date until someone sets him straight.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients