Michael Dunn: A Tiny Actor Who Lived Large
The diminutive actor Michael Dunn was small in stature but mighty in spirit, says a new biography by Yukon, OK, native and author Sherry Kelly. “The Big Life of a Little Man: Michael Dunn Remembered” relates the poignant and inspiring story of Dunn, who was born in Shattuck, OK, with dwarfism but built a large career in Hollywood that earned him an Academy Award nomination.
Dunn (real name, Gary Miller) died mysteriously in London at age 38 after carving out a distinguished career that included playing Dr. Miguelito Loveless for several seasons in the mid-’60s on TV’s “The Wild, Wild West,” winning an Oscar nomination for his role in 1965’s “Ship of Fools” and appearing in numerous films and TV series.
Kelly, author of “A Cat Named Zooby” and “Your New Baby’s Instruction Book,” is a first cousin of Dunn. She drew upon a rich repository of family letters, magazine articles, newspaper clippings and personal reminiscences from friends and relatives to paint a touching and intimate portrait of a man who never let his physical limitations prevent him from pursuing his dreams.
“The Big Life of a Little Man” (Tate Publishing) is available at barnesandnoble.com, amazon.com, tatepublishing.com and numerous book outlets. The book, 172 pages in paperback, retails for $12.99.
- Dennis King
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 30214Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 19534Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7073OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6093Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5026OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4433Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3498Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3460Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3276Oklahoma City Thunder: The time has come for OKC's young players
- 3162Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients