Under the Radar DVD of the Week: "Dirt! The Movie"
This week, the most offbeat DVD to appear on release lists is:
“Dirt! The Movie”
Dirt is not dirty, declare the makers of this light-hearted yet serious-minded documentary, out on DVD Tuesday, that examines the “skin of the earth” and the “ground beneath our feet.”
Inspired by the celebrated book, “Dirt, The Ecstatic Skin of the Earth,” by William Bryant Logan, “Dirt! The Movie,” is a humorous yet significant look at man’s relationship with the soil. Dirt, the film tells us, makes human existence possible. “It feeds and shelters us. It holds and cleans our water. It regulates the earth’s climate. It heals us and makes us beautiful.”
But, as narrator Jamie Lee Curtis bemoans, people of the industrial age have thoughtlessly ignored, abused and damaged this most precious resource – “destroying (it) with our agriculture, our mining, and our paving over the planet for cities.” Without healthy soil, mankind faces an inevitable increase in mass starvation, drought, floods and global warming.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 97533Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13957Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9425Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8660Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 8311OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 7700How to help tornado victims
- 7421Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 6598Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 6130Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 6065Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients