These movies will haunt you after trick-or-treaters go home
BY GENE TRIPLETT
When the last trick-or-treaters disappear into the dark with their sweet swag in tow, it’ll be time to turn the lights down low, pop your favorite fright film in the player and subject yourselves to a couple of hours of harrowing horror, or at least some nail-biting suspense.
Extras include original documentaries on “Rear Window” and “Vertigo,” script pages and stills from a deleted scene and storyboard drawings of the unfilmed alternate ending of “The Birds,” original trailers and production photographs.
If more graphic stabbings, impalings and decapitations are desired, Paramount’s “Friday the 13th: The Ultimate Collection Limited Edition” (only 50,000 manufactured, so hurry!) holds deluxe editions of all eight installments (1980-89), an eight-page booklet, two pairs of glasses for watching “Part 3 in 3-D,” AND a replica of the infamous hockey mask, so you can watch all the gratuitous gore from a Jason’s-eye-view.
Or if it’s unintentional hilarity you’re hankering for, the original, 1958 “Attack of the 50-Foot Woman” is a towering hoot, one of those great, gosh-awful Allied Artists sci-fi/horror pictures of the period starring second-string scream queen Allison Hayes as hard-drinking rich woman Nancy Archer, fresh
And if you really want to experience the worst of cinema’s simple-minded slop jobs, there is “‘Manos’ The Hands of Fate” (1966), but unless you’re totally masochistic, the only way to view this travesty of ineptitude is with the accompanying snarky commentary and ad-libbed dialogue embellishments of Satellite of Love captive Joel Robinson and his robot sidekicks Tom Servo and Crow T. Robot in the “Mystery Science Theater 3000” Special Edition from Shout Factory. We have fertilizer salesman turned filmmaker Harold P. Warren to thank for this mess. Really bad pacing, poor photography and lighting and inept dubbing come together with terrible acting to make this story of a family getting lost and stumbling onto the lair of a devil worshipping cult a legendary low point in cinematic history, and perfect fodder for some of the funniest riffing the SoL crew ever conjured up during the entire run of MST3K.
But while the half-man, half-goat and the evil guy in the cape are the obvious monsters of “Manos,” the evil in the classic chiller “The Bad
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients