Movie review: ‘Vampires Suck’ a toothless parody of ‘Twilight’ saga
Bloody heck! Talk about a couple of jokers setting themselves up to be the butt of their own punchline.
Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer, co-writers-directors of the toothless spoof “Vampires Suck,” walk right into a sucker punch with their latest sophomoric parody of movie genres, this one taking on all things “Twilight.” With the level of humor here running to flatulence jokes, groin kicks and high-school smart-aleck cracks, their movie does, indeed, (surely no other critic in the world will be this clever) SUCK!
No surprise, actually, since these two schlockmeisters have built an unlikely career on obvious, low-brow, aggressively mirthless film parodies such as “Date Movie,” “Epic Movie,” “Meet the Spartans” and “Disaster Movie.” They also pasted together the wildly scattershot scripts for “Spy Hard” and “Scary Movie.”
“Vampires Suck” takes the most obvious path to cheap laughs by riffing, sometimes line-for-line, on the storylines of the obsessively popular “Twilight” and “New Moon” films.
The plot goes like this: After her randy mother abandons her to become a Tiger Woods groupie on the pro golf tour, chaste heroine Becca Crane (newcomer Jenn Proske in a thankless role) shows up in rainy, gloomy Sporks, Washington, to live with her overly protective sheriff father Frank (Diedrich Bader). At her new school, Becca finds herself torn between two hunks – the brooding, pasty-faced Edward Sullen (Matt Lanter), who might be a vampire, and the shaggy Jacob White (Chris Riggi), whose raunchy canine tendencies lead us to suspect that he might be a werewolf.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients