Under the Radar DVD of the Week: 'The Green Hornet Strikes Again' (75th Anniversary)
This week, the oddest DVD to appear on release lists is:
“The Green Hornet Strikes Again” (75th Anniversary)
Just as the new Green Hornet prepares to strike up a retro vibe in multiplexes this week, some of the masked crime fighter’s early big-screen forays get a fresh life on DVD with Tuesday’s release of “The Green Hornet Strikes Again” (75th Anniversary).
The 1941 serial in 15 episodes was the second of a popular Universal franchise series based on “The Green Hornet” radio program by George W. Trendle and Fran Striker. It followed the 1940 movie serial “The Green Hornet.”
This series of interlinked but freestanding crime tales begins with newspaper publisher Britt Reid (Warren Hull taking over from Gordon Jones of the first serial) vacationing in Hawaii when he learns that crime boss Crogan (Pierre Watkin) has expanded his nefarious enterprises to every corner of the city.
Rushing back home on the S.S. Paradise with his trusty houseboy and chauffeur Kato (Key Luke), Reid narrowly avoids death in a maritime disaster. But back home, he dons the Green Hornet mask and hops into his trusty, souped-up crimemobile, Black Beauty, and does weekly battle with Crogan and his henchmen.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients