Under the Radar DVD of the Week: 'The Abbott and Costello Show: Who's on First?'
This week, the oddest DVD to appear on release lists is:
“The Abbott and Costello Show: Who’s on First?”
Here in the bleak days of winter, with spring training still weeks away, it’s comforting to contemplate the coming of warm weather and the opening of baseball season. And what better way to bask in the glow of diamond days than to revisit comics Abbott and Costello and their classic skit, “Who’s on First?”
“The Abbott and Costello Show: Who’s on First?” (due out on DVD Tuesday) is a compilation of sketches from the comic duo’s TV series, which debuted in 1952 and ran for 52 episodes over two seasons. The new disk repackages previous digitally restored and re-mastered material from 2010’s “Complete Collector’s Series,” with the classic baseball skit as its centerpiece.
“Who’s on First?” originated as a vaudeville skit, which was later adapted by Abbott and Costello into a verbally dexterous routine they performed on The Kate Smith Radio Hour. In it, Abbott attempts to identify for Costello the nicknamed players on a baseball team, and the famed “Who’s on first, What’s on second, I Don’t Know is on third” routine was born. The skit was later featured in the comedy team’s 1941 hit “Buck Privates,” as well as in at least two other feature films and on their TV radio shows.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24367Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 12839Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7010OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5994OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5476Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5061Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3886Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3822Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3626Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3264Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients