Under the Radar DVD of the Week: 'Black Rat'
This week, the oddest DVD to appear on release lists is:
In the creepy realm of underground, hipster horror movies, a director can never be too young, too exotic, too twisted or too well connected to become a cult star. Witness the hot Japanese horror filmmaker Kenta Fukasaku and his latest offbeat chiller “Black Rat,” due out on an English-subtitled DVD Tuesday.
Fukasaku, son of the late, legendary director Kinji Fukasaku (who helmed the Japanese sections of “Tora! Tora! Tora!’), has made his own path with such macabre and nutty horror works as “Yo-Yo Girl Cop,” “X-Cross” and “Killer.”
And in that vein, “Black Rat” continues the weirdo mayhem. It tells a “Carrie”-like teen revenge saga in which six high schoolers receive a mysterious message from classmate Asuka telling them to gather in a classroom in the middle of the night. The hitch is: Asuka recently committed suicide.
As the puzzled but intrigued students assemble at the school and begin to talk, a figure wielding a bat and wearing a blood-stained rat mask appears, announces “Asuka’s revenge,” and begins pummeling, slicing and dispatching the classmates in various horrific ways.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients