Retirement? Stars of ‘Red' don't see the point of it
BY DENNIS KING
NEW YORK — The reluctantly retired spies of “Red” find their enforced idleness a soul-deadening curse. So when they’re forced to take up arms again to battle a nefarious government conspiracy, they are born anew.
During a recent news conference for the film hosted by Summit Entertainment, the stars were asked about their own plans or visions of the perfect retirement. Here’s what they said:
Helen Mirren, 65
“As night follows day, inevitably it will happen, but I have no idea what I’d do. I think we all have a dream of what it would be like not to work and to grow heirloom tomatoes. And I do have that dream. It would be lovely; I do love gardening and all of that. But I do love my work, and mostly I love the people that I get to work with. In my job I get to constantly meet and work with and be involved with clever, imaginative people who constantly surprise you and push you forward and inspire you. So I think I would miss that a lot if I didn’t work anymore.”
John Malkovich, 56
“My feeling about that is they’ll retire me when it’s time, and they won’t have the slightest compunction about that, nor should they. I will have lived a very, very long, incredibly blessed life. I will have had the most extraordinary, pretty much undeserved opportunities for 34 years now. I will have worked with and had the pleasure of having met some of the most incredibly interesting people and some of most gifted filmmakers around the world. So, when they retire me — yeah, sure, I’d miss the people, as Helen said. But that’ll be that. Playing golf? Probably not. I’ve never really thought about that. That’s almost an existential conundrum. Oh, I don’t see the point of it, really. It doesn’t make sense to me to retire from what you love.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients