Under the Radar DVD of the Week: 'Slings and Arrows: The Complete Collection'
“Slings and Arrows: The Complete Collection”
Every lover of live theater should make a pilgrimage to the fictional New Burbage Theatre Festival and experience the deliriously entertaining backstage doings of its dysfunctional Shakespearean troupe. Their antics were detailed with darkly comic brilliance in the Canadian series “Slings and Arrows,” set for release Tuesday in a boxed DVD set.
“Slings and Arrows: The Complete Collection” pulls together all 18 episodes of the three seasons that aired from 2003-2006 on the Sundance Channel, plus several special DVD extras.
The series revolves around the struggling theater festival in the fictional Canadian town of New Burbage, where the legendary actor Geoffrey Tennant (Paul Gross) has returned after an on-stage mental breakdown during a performance of “Hamlet.” He’s back to assume the artistic directorship following the sudden death of his mentor, Oliver Welles (Stephen Ouimette).
But as Geoffrey prepares to mount a new production of “Hamlet,” the very play that drove him mad, he’s shocked to discover that the opinionated Oliver is still around, in ghostly spirit. Over three delicious seasons – detailing the stagings of “Hamlet,” “Macbeth” and “King Lear” – the ghost of Oliver nags and cajoles Geoffrey and debates their dueling creative visions. Meanwhile, Geoffrey must deal with a temperamental cast, an archly pretentious guest director (Don McKellar), a skittish business manager (Mark McKinney) and his own inflammatory romance with the troupe’s neurotic leading lady (Martha Burns).
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 83313Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 56374Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33323Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 23846Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 23231Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8483Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 8265Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters
- 8253Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
- 7999Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7772Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients