Under the Radar DVD of the Week: 'Hair High by Bill Plympton'
This week, the oddest DVD to appear on release lists is:
“Hair High by Bill Plympton”
Pompadours and beehives are the order of the day in cult animator Bill Plympton’s gothic high-school comedy “Hair High,” due out on DVD Tuesday.
“Hair High by Bill Plympton” is a 2004 cartoon feature that tells a “Carrie”-like story of high school romance, horror and macabre comedy. Cheerleader Cherri (Sarah Silverman) and athlete Rod (Dermot Mulroney) are ideal high school sweethearts, until new kid in town Spud (Eric Gilliland) comes between them.
When Cherri and Spud fall in love and decide to go to the prom together, the rejected Rod gets behind the wheel of his hot rod and forces their car off the road and into a dank, cold lake. As the lovebirds share one last kiss, their car sinks to the murky lake bottom in true ’50s rock tragedy fashion.
A year later, Rod, having escaped culpability for the murder, prepares to be crowned prom king. But as party lights twinkle, Cherri and Spud magically come to life and drive their car out of the lake. Their bodies in an advanced state of decomposition and their car a rusty, waterlogged clunker, Cherri and Rod make a grand, ghoulish entry at the prom and, with snakes and lizards oozing from their sagging skin, take their horrific revenge on the shocked Rod.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 35920Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15377Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9806Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9680Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7926Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7748Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7269Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6212Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6004UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients