DVD review: ‘Enlightened' — The Complete First Season
The first episode of the first season of “Enlightened” doesn’t begin promisingly for ambitious corporate executive Amy Jellicoe (Laura Dern) when work pressures and her
Dern won a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy for this series that achieves a tricky balance between laughs, pathos and sharp drama as we follow her character’s journey back into to her fractured life after being “enlightened” during an extended stay at a holistic treatment center in Hawaii.
Amy is determined to be a positive “agent of change” in the world — even when her company takes her back in a menial data services job — but her newfound noble intentions become a source of alarm for almost everyone around her, especially when she begins to uncover evidence of corporate abuse and corruption.
The show was created and is co-executive produced by Dern and Mike White (“School of Rock,” “Nacho Libre”), who occasionally directs, writes and co-stars as Amy’s deceptively meek co-worker Tyler.
The uniformly solid supporting players also include Luke Wilson as Amy’s drug-addicted ex-husband Levi; Sarah Burns as Krista, the seemingly sweet former assistant who has taken over Amy’s old job; and Amy Hill as Judy, the stern human resources rep who won’t give Amy a break. The second season premiered this month on HBO, and the first two episodes can be on HBO On Demand and HBO GO. New episodes air each Sunday at 8:30 p.m.
— Gene Triplett
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients