Movie review: ‘Movie 43’ adds up to twelve star-powered dirty jokes
Twelve gross, sketchy sketches in search of the bottom of the barrel, “Movie 43” expends an incredible amount of poop and big-name talent in the service of an all-star embarrassment.
Aiming for the raunchy, anarchic spirit of such ’70s relics as “Kentucky Fried Movie” and “The Groove Tube,” this hodgepodge omnibus draws together a cabal of directors (ranging from big guns such as Brett Ratner and Peter Farrelly to actor/directors like Griffin Dunne and Elizabeth Banks) to cobble together a dirty dozen “SNL”-style skits whose only unifying factor seems to be a devious determination to offend.
Employing a lame framing narrative with Dennis Quaid as a desperate, down-on-his-luck filmmaker pitching increasingly wacky projects to a timid, midlevel studio exec (Greg Kinnear), the film reels off a progressively gross sting of vignettes whose shock value decreases with each insult. Eventually and inevitably, the thing just becomes tasteless and boring.
Just a few sanitized synopses will give enough flavor to let you know if this is your cup of meat.
In Farrelly’s “Catch,” Hugh Jackman shows up as a blasé playboy on a blind date with the delicious Kate Winslet. At one point in their repast at an upscale café, romantic sparks fly and he removes his scarf to reveal a shriveled scrotum protruding from his neck.
Steve Carr’s “The Proposition” has Chris Pratt’s plan to propose to girlfriend Anna Faris sidetracked by her request to be defecated upon.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 18669Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9301Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7759Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6777UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6417Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6385Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6185Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5448Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients