Oscar guesses: Let’s see how the Las Vegas odds makers do
BY DENNIS KING
The Oscars are being given out Sunday night, so all across the land the game’s afoot. In office pools, barrooms, classrooms, living rooms and at water coolers everywhere popcorn pundits are analyzing and strategizing and prognosticating over who will take home the little golden statue for “best.”
In our 25 years of writing about movies, we admit to a pathetic track record at picking Oscars. Predicting how 5,856 Academy voters – a most insular, erratic and passionately biased clique – will cast their ballots has always seemed to us a wholly futile exercise.
We have a friend – whom we drag out and cite every year – who never sees any of the Oscar-nominated movies but has a deadly accurate record at picking the winners. He was actually barred from one office pool after having won, insufferably, five years in a row.
So analytical acumen and vast knowledge of movie history mean very little in this game. This year, we decided to just go with the Las Vegas odds makers and so offer up this somewhat half-hearted prediction (minus all our wordy impulses to reason, dissect and scrutinize the vastly varied and award-worthy candidates).
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11867Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11199Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7813Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7743Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4737Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4255OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3606Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 3568Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3561Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3556How to help tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients