Jonah Hill on playing with guns at ’21 Jump Street’
NEW YORK – No one will ever mistake Jonah Hill for a macho action star.
But the portly comic actor gets to engage in more than his share of gunplay in his new action comedy “21 Jump Street.” Appearing opposite hunky, handsome Channing Tatum in the TV remake about youthful LAPD cops going undercover at a high school to bust drug dealers, Hill got to sling weapons on screen for the first time in his career.
But, as he told it during a press day hosted by Columbia Pictures, he wasn’t entirely comfortable handling all that firepower. On the other hand, Tatum (a veteran of “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” and other action fare) handles guns with aplomb.
“I’m pretty comfortable with weapons,” Tatum told reporters. “I’ve done a lot of work with them in films.” Then he laughed. “But this person next to me (Hill) has the worst gun safety that I’ve ever been around in my entire life.”
In his own defense, Hill explained, “I had a problem because there’s a guy on set whose job it is to give you a gun, right? It’s a real gun and it’s loaded with blanks. And I had not been around guns before. But I went with a cop and trained how to shoot guns. I’m actually a pretty good shot. And so this guy was responsible for giving me a gun, so my thing was like …”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 18759Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10409Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9339Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7780Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6796UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6582Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6410Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6209Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5448Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients