Under the Radar DVD of the Week: 'American Warships'
This week, the oddest DVD on release lists is:
While “Battleship” bombards multiplex audiences with FX bombast, a rival juggernaut of “mockbuster” proportions now prepares to moor itself on video shelves. “American Warships,” produced by notorious copycat company Global Asylum, is due out on DVD Tuesday.
Originally titled “American Battleship” and positioned to mooch off of Universal Pictures’ huge advertising blitz in advance of “Battleship’s” wide May 18th U.S. release, the modestly budgeted CGI knockoff became the subject of a high-profile court case when Universal sued Global Asylum for copyright infringement. The direct-to-DVD maker responded by changing the title of its movie to “American Warships” (after, no doubt, benefiting greatly from the publicity).
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 56820Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14719Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9122Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7282Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6520Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6448How to help tornado victims
- 6374Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6257Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6000Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 5062Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients