‘Ice Age’ is a very cool acting gig for Denis Leary
NEW YORK – If Denis Leary has his way, the Ice Age will go on forever.
The Boston actor, writer and stand-up comic has two big roles coming up in films this summer – as stern cop Captain Stacy in “The Amazing Spider-Man” and as the voice of surly saber-tooth tiger Diego in “Ice Age: Continental Drift.”
And while this tough-talking son of Irish immigrants allows that he enjoys playing cops and firemen on screen, he said he really gets a kick out of voice acting for animated films.
His role as the slightly sinister Diego marks the fourth “Ice Age” feature he’s appeared in (plus three shorts and a video game drawn from the franchise). “Continental Drift” hits theaters on July 13.
During a recent press day for “The Amazing Spider-Man” (opening July 3), the often profane Leary took time to also talk about his “Ice Age” gig, in which Diego and his pals Manny and Sid embark upon another adventure after their continent is set adrift. Using an iceberg as a ship, they encounter sea creatures and battle pirates as they explore a new world.
“Listen, man, these voice acting jobs are the greatest,” Leary said. “Chris Rock said something about what a great gigs these are during an Oscar telecast. For one thing, you can look like crap. I don’t like to dress up. I wear the same clothes everyday. I mean, you’re lucky I’m wearing pants. I changed my shirt for this (press conference).
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 26512Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17561Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 8879OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8492Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 8412UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7989Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7605Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6228Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5649Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 4993Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients