Under the Radar DVD of the Week: 'All In: The Poker Movie'
This week, the oddest DVD to appear on release lists is:
“All In: The Poker Movie”
The disreputable, outlaw aura of card sharps and riverboat gamblers hangs over director Douglas Tirola’s rambling, sympathetic documentary “All In: The Poker Movie” (due out on DVD Tuesday).
The documentary is a kind of freewheeling celebration of shady poker history, not always smoothly meshed with an examination of recent technological innovations (online poker sites and big-money televised poker tournaments) that have changed the game from a dubious diversion practiced in smoky back rooms and sin-filled saloons to a national obsession overseen by a big-brother government.
On one hand, Tirola evokes the romantic rebel airs of Kenny Rogers’ “The Gambler,” with its “know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em” shrewdness. But it never plays a straight hand. The film darts from on topic to another with little sense of a clear purpose.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 82753Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 43754Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33000Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 23187Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 22920Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8406Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 8041Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
- 7870Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7493Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 7427Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients