Under the Radar DVD of the Week: 'All In: The Poker Movie'
This week, the oddest DVD to appear on release lists is:
“All In: The Poker Movie”
The disreputable, outlaw aura of card sharps and riverboat gamblers hangs over director Douglas Tirola’s rambling, sympathetic documentary “All In: The Poker Movie” (due out on DVD Tuesday).
The documentary is a kind of freewheeling celebration of shady poker history, not always smoothly meshed with an examination of recent technological innovations (online poker sites and big-money televised poker tournaments) that have changed the game from a dubious diversion practiced in smoky back rooms and sin-filled saloons to a national obsession overseen by a big-brother government.
On one hand, Tirola evokes the romantic rebel airs of Kenny Rogers’ “The Gambler,” with its “know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em” shrewdness. But it never plays a straight hand. The film darts from on topic to another with little sense of a clear purpose.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13258OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7144Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7131Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6694Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6025Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5256Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5146Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 4093As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3907Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 3578OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients