Under the Radar DVD of the Week: 'Get the Gringo'
This week, the oddest DVD to appear on release lists is:
“Get the Gringo”
After his recent history of tawdry personal troubles and terrible publicity, Mel Gibson’s movie career is at its lowest ebb. So with the gritty and aggressively sordid action film “Get the Gringo” (due out on DVD Tuesday), the Oscar-winning actor appears to be returning to his grungy “Mad Max” roots.
Gibson’s off-screen troubles have dominated his press in recent years – after a high ride on his popular “Lethal Weapon” franchise, his Academy Award-winning “Braveheart” and his controversial “The Passion of the Christ.” He made a halting effort at getting back to what he does best on screen – tough, stark action material – with 2010’s “Edge of Darkness,” but although he was very good that film went nowhere.
“Get the Gringo” seems yet another measure of how Gibson’s star has faded. It casts him as a down-and-out career criminal named Driver who pulls off the heist of a lifetime, only to see it all go wrong when he winds up in a hardcore Mexican prison known as “El Pueblito.” In a struggle to survive, he has to tackle snarling goons and a ruthless drug lord, fend off seedy, corrupt cops and befriend a savvy 10-year-old street urchin who harbors a few dire secrets of his own.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 13567Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 12400Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 6766Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients