Malick film shot in Bartlesville set to premiere at Venice Film Festival
Writer-director Terrence Malick’s film “To the Wonder,” shot primarily in Oklahoma, will make its world premiere at next month’s Venice Film Festival.
The lineup for Venice’s Aug. 29-Sept. 8 event, announced Thursday by festival director Alberto Barbera, includes the romantic drama starring Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams and Javier
Bardem, which will be playing as an in-competition title aiming to win the Golden Lion, the top honor at the world’s oldest film festival.
“To the Wonder” was shot in the fall of 2010 around the Bartlesville and Pawhuska areas and briefly in Tulsa. The film took advantage of the Oklahoma Film Enhancement Rebate Program, administered by the Oklahoma Film & Music Office.
The famously reclusive Malick spent several years of his youth in Bartlesville, where his father still resides.
Malick is among 17 directors vying for the prize, including Brian De Palma for the sexy thriller “Passion,” which also features McAdams in its cast. De Palma’s last feature film, “Redacted,” won Venice’s award for best direction in 2007.
Malick’s film was announced in February 2010 and was orginally set to star Christian Bale, who dropped out before filming began and was replaced by Affleck.
The cast of “To the Wonder” also includes Jessica Chastain, Olga Kurylenko, Amanda Peet, Barry Pepper, Michael Sheen and Rachel Weisz.
- Gene Triplett, The Associated Press and the Oklahoma Film & Music Office contributed to this report.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients