Under the Radar DVD of the Week: 'Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein'
This week, the oddest DVD to appear on release lists is:
“Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein”
On its 100th anniversary, Universal Pictures is re-releasing several gems from its vaults, and one of these is an inspired teaming of the studio’s classic monster crew with the baggy-pants burlesque veterans Bud Abbot and Lou Costello. “Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein” (due out on DVD Tuesday) is the first and best of several slapstick monster movies featuring the comics and the creepers.
The 1948 comedy deftly combines two lucrative franchises – Bud and Lou’s bumbling buddy routine, featuring Costello’s stammering, stumbling, scaredy-cat persona, and the stable of Universal monsters featuring the lumbering title goon (Glenn Strange), bloodthirsty Count Dracula (Bela Lugosi), the howling Wolfman (Lon Chaney Jr.) and even a brief appearance by the Invisible Man (Vincent Price).
Abbott and Costello appear as inept railroad baggage clerks who are assigned to deliver two large crates to MacDougal’s House of Horrors. Inside are the Frankenstein monster and Count Dracula. When the two creatures escape, Bud and Lou give chase. But to complicate matters, Lou’s beautiful girlfriend (Lenore Aubert) is really a mad scientist who schemes to implant her boyfriend’s simpleton brain into the Frankenstein monster. Naturally, as the saying goes, comic chaos ensues.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients