Under the Radar DVD of the Week: 'Elf-Man'
This week, the oddest DVD to appear on release lists is:
Elves have been a staple of holiday mythology for eons, so it’s no surprise that in our super-hero obsessed age some enterprising filmmakers have attempted to turn one of those green-garbed, pointy-hatted little sprites into a crime fighter in “Elf-Man” (due out on DVD Tuesday).
A light-hearted and lightweight holiday fantasy, this goofy but harmless trifle features two very unlikely actors in key roles. Playing the rookie elf of the title is Jason “Wee Man” Acuna, one of the riotous “Jackass” knuckleheads, and stepping into the villain’s shoes is horror veteran Jeffrey Combs (“Re-Animator”).
And behind the camera is director Ethan Wiley, whose entire resume is stocked with creepy, low-level horror titles ranging from “House II: The Second Story” to “Children of the Corn V: Fields of Terror.”
So when these guys try to go all wholesome and family friendly, the result is a blandly clever hook that turns into a tedious sugar fest.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients