Blu-ray review: 'Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection' (Blu-ray)
“Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection” contains five of the greatest hits, several near misses and a couple of outright flops from the Master of Suspense — 15 films in
Thirteen of the titles in this limited edition are appearing on Blu-ray for the first time. The most dedicated fans of the Portly Prince of Darkness probably already own the five essentials — “Rear Window” (1954), “Vertigo” (1958), “North by Northwest” (1959), “Psycho” (1960) and “The Birds” (1963) — in some video format or other. But the gleaming white tile, flashing blade and dark streams of chocolate syrup in the infamous shower scene never looked more terrifyingly vivid and sharp than they do in high-definition.
Two of the less celebrated older titles are worth owning, too. “Saboteur” (1942) stars Robert Cummings as Hitch’s favorite kind of character, the innocent, ordinary man wrongly accused of a horrendous crime and forced to run from the law and the bad guys as well (in this case, Nazi spies) while trying to track down the real villain (longtime Hitchcock associate Norman Lloyd). It’s an offbeat wartime nail-biter with a spectacular finale atop the Statue of Liberty. “Shadow of a Doubt” (1943), said to be Hitchcock’s personal favorite, is an absorbing thriller about a young woman (Teresa Wright) who slowly comes to suspect that her favorite uncle (Joseph Cotten) might be the “Merry Widow” serial killer she’s been reading about in the newspapers.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients