Under the Radar DVDs: 2012’s oddest of the odd
Each week sees literally scores of new releases on DVD. Big-bucks advertising and studio clout propel sales of the most high-profile DVDs. But the oddball releases that fly under the radar are often the most fun. Those bottom-of-the-list releases have been spotlighted during 2012 in the “Under-the-Radar DVD Release of the Week.”
This week, here are 10 of the oddest of the odd DVD releases from the past year:
“Beware the Gonzo” – Hunter S. Thompson meets “Revenge of the Nerds” in this smart but snarky teen-angst comedy.
“The Sidelong Glances of a Pigeon Kicker” – A provocatively titled movie that pretends to be a long-lost hipster gem from 1970, this is really just an overblown hodgepodge of cultural clichés in service of on snotty, self-indulgent central character.
“Anatomy of a Bigfoot Hoax” – Our unending fascination with the possibility of something big, hairy and mysterious lurking in the dark woods led to a hokey swindle in 2008 that became national news and spawned this clunky, self-serving documentary.
“Groucho Marx in the Mikado” – It’s not generally known that Groucho Marx, that king of comic chaos, had an absolute passion for the precise, Victorian-era comic operas of Gilbert and Sullivan. In fact, a self-proclaimed highlight of Groucho’s long career came when he played the role of Ko-Ko in “The Mikado,” a 1960 Bell Telephone Hour TV production.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients