Is it a good fit? Weigh in on Michelle Obama's inauguration outfit
No more speculating. Michelle Obama wore a yellow dress and matching coat for her first appearance on inauguration day.
The outfit was by Cuban-born American designer Isabel Toledo, one of her favorite designers. Speculation had been that she would steer clear of anything bling, given this country’s economic doldrums, but this ensemble had a bit of sparkle at the neckline. Finishing details were green Jimmy Choo shoes and green gloves from J. Crew.
Hamish Bowles, Vogue magazine’s European editor at large who curated the Metropolitan Museum Costume Institute exhibit on Jackie Kennedy in 2001, told the Associated Press that said he sees a resemblance in the inaugural styles between the two first ladies. “She’s off to an auspicious start,” Bowles said of Obama.
“Mrs. Obama’s choice today was appropriate, dignified and elegant but it also had a considerable element of fashion panache,” he added.
The fashion industry hopes Obama will lift the industry out of its sad state. Not only do American women relate to Obama’s more contemporary fashion choices, they like that she’s as likely to wear off-the-rack as designer. It will be interesting to see if that changes with a move into the White House.
Bowles said Obama has shown an ability to root out exciting and innovative styles in her backyard and there’s been no need for her to look at European designers. “She’s finding great American talent.”
Obama continues to mix up her looks, often choosing lesser-known designers. The fashion industry loves her bold choices.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16360Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12715Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 11414'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11247Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11067Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 10980OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 7454Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 6968Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6909Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 6877Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients