Fashion Week: Oscar de la Renta
NEW YORK (AP) — The beauty of an Oscar de la Renta design is its luxuriousness. In the new fall styles he offered Wednesday at New York Fashion Week, de la Renta stayed true to his principles and didn’t offer a “recession collection,” or anything that could be called a “de la Renta lite.”
Fur (and lots of it) set the tone, and during the 15-minute show de la Renta did what he could to reassure fashion-followers that everything would be all right as long as they looked good.
The best of the bunch were a contemporary gray broadtail vest and a regal hooded feathered sable coat. Surely, though, the skunk scarf and mittens worn by the first model on the runway — in an otherwise sleek and chic black wool dress — raised a few eyebrows.
His signature beading and embroideries were sparser than usual, but, with his socialite customers dutifully filling the former church on Park Avenue he uses to stage runway shows, that seemed a commentary on emerging trends, not trying times.
The ballgown that would be his contribution to the fierce, aggressive look that has dominated the scores of this week’s previews was black, strapless and splattered with edgy shine, but the elaborate — and pouffy — gown would only be appropriate for the fanciest occasion. The same goes with another black Grande-dame gown that was covered with a tulle and velvet embroidered coat.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 20729Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17578Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 11978Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10703Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 8989Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8551Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 8339Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 7784Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4976Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
- 4468Woman arrested on complaint of offering to engage in act of prostitution in Midwest City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients