Leaving the 1800s behind
A few of the homes had period dresses and garments on display, and though I’ve seen such clothes before, I am always surprised at how small the ladies and the garments are. Perhaps the corsets stunted their growth.
Really, those lace-up corsets had to be unbelievably painful. Talk about sacrificing comfort for fashion.
A wasp waist is wasted if you can’t breathe and pass out. Which explains the fainting couches in the houses. One doctor in the 1800s even blamed tight-laced corsets for scoliosis and uneven alignment of of breasts, hips and shoulders.
So, ladies, no more complaining about pointed-toe shoes. We’ve got it good. We’ve got choices. And we’ve got Spanx.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients