Fashion Week fall 2012: Tory Burch, Vera Wang, Badgley Mischka, Oscar de la Renta
By Samantha Critchell/AP Fashion Writer
NEW YORK — A sexy, sultry woman has emerged at New York Fashion Week, but one that seduces with her confidence, not bare skin. On Day 6 of the fall-collection previews, the Valentine’s Day edition, a dark, romantic sensibility was conveyed on the runways through high collars, falling hemlines and long sleeves, sometimes very long, offset with sheerness for allure or a bit of leather for an edge.
“This is about understated sexy,” said Tory Burch backstage ahead of her runway show. “The picture I had was a young woman, maybe unaware of her own sex appeal, and she gets on the back of a motorcycle with someone who her parents wouldn’t want her to be with.”
The evolution of the Burch muse went from prim Peter Pan collars to leather leggings hand-painted in navy, red and white.
Vera Wang, meanwhile, layered a jacket lined with snuggly boucle (nubbly yarn) over a feather-light chiffon gown, and said in her notes that the clothes reveal the female form “by smoky transparencies that allow a glimpse of skin and of delicate lingerie not meant to be hidden, but seen.”
From her seat at Badgley Mischka, model Coco Rocha said sexy is a state of mind. “It’s about a person and what they exude. If you have confidence and elegance, you don’t need cleavage.”
Tory Burch’s Valentine’s Day gift to New York Fashion Week was a runway backstory of a sheltered — and well-dressed young woman — running off with a little bit of a bad boy.
Burch’s muse never crossed a line, always remembering her bow-blouse and pearl-embellished roots, but she definitely gained an edge with slim pencil skirts and shiny gold thread woven into her tweed.
Burch singled out as the first piece headed to her personal closet a cropped peplum sweater, paired on the model with tight leather pants decorated with red, white and navy hand-painted stripes.
Burch accessorized many outfits with the long, leather opera gloves that have graced many catwalks during this round of previews.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients