Fashion Week fall 2012: Calvin Klein
By Samantha Critchell/Associated Press Fashion Writer
NEW YORK — Calvin Klein designs have long been known for their razor-sharp lines, but the label’s creative director Francisco Costa seems to have a knack for curves, too.
His fall collection presented Thursday as one of the last major shows of New York Fashion Week ended things the way the season largely started, offering clothes for a woman who can seduce and charm with intelligence and strength, but without wearing anything too tight or revealing.
Costa, in fact, purposely created a looser hourglass shape for this muse that gives room to move and breathe, sculpting stiff wool fabrics into outfits with rounded jewel necklines and a little extra fabric at the hips. For most women, this is going to work better in coats than dresses, but on the models, it was nice to see the chic, fuller shape shifts.
“Mysterious, sexy and super urban” was how Costa described it just after the show. “The iconography for this is all super modern,” he said.
“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” star Rooney Mara sat in the front row, and the clean, architectural and unadorned style that Costa has crafted as his Calvin Klein signature seems a perfect fit for her. She might be the one to pull off a leather look at the Academy Awards.
The colors, as usual here, were dark and stark, with the only bright moments coming from a few flashes of red and a salmon-colored dress made of a glazed tweed and tulle.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 87104Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16817OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12528Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 9682Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 8951Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8846Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8700How to help tornado victims
- 8573Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 7011Excessive speed, alcohol, operator inattention contributed to fatal boat crash, report states
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients