ShopSmart magazine busts beauty myths
But I’ve heard all my life that crossing your legs, or worse, sitting on your legs, can cause varicose veins. Does it?
Now ShopSmart magazine’s July issue goes mythbuster on old beauty beliefs. Here’s the lowdown on bad beauty advice, along with the tips and tricks that really work.
THE MYTH: You can shrink your pores.
THE TRUTH: Using a cleanser with glycolic acid causes mild swelling of the skin, which makes pores look smaller, but only temporarily. You can also make your pores look smaller by unclogging them regularly with skin products that contain salicylic acid or a retinoid.
THE MYTH: Eating chocolate will give you acne.
THE TRUTH: Chocoholics rejoice: the sweet treat has been exonerated as a cause of acne. But downing lots of starchy, sugary foods may worsen acne. Cutting back on dairy products, on the other hand, may help.
THE MYTH: Brushing your hair 100 strokes per day will make it healthier.
THE TRUTH: Diligent brushing will distribute oil that’s produced by your scalp throughout your strands, which can make your hair look shiny and glossy, but brushing can’t actually affect the health of your hair. And if you have thinning hair or you shed hair easily, you’re better off gently brushing your hair to neaten it up and then putting the brush down.
THE MYTH: Eating Jell-O will make your nails stronger.
THE TRUTH: Gelatin neither helps nor hurts your nails. If you have thin or breakable nails that are prone to splitting, taking biotin supplements may help strengthen them, but it can take three to six months to see a difference.
THE MYTH: Shaving will make your hair grow back thicker.
THE TRUTH: Absolutely not! The hair on your legs, underarms, and other spots may feel thicker when that prickly stubble first appears. However, that’s only because when you shave, you’ve cut that hair off at the thicker part of the hair shaft. But as the hair grows out, it will become tapered at the tip again, resulting in the same overall thickness.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17897Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 15383Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11506Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11200'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10732Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9276OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8256Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6910Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6624Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 6479Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients