What has Lady Gaga done for fashion?
If you’re a fan of Lady Gaga, or at least intrigued by her style, here’s an interesting read from Robin Givhan, fashion editor for The Washington Post.
What has Lady Gaga done for fashion? Nothing, writes Givhan. At least not yet. But it doesn’t really matter. She comes out of today’s muddled culture in which an often-photographed starlet who has exhibited no evidence of good taste can become a designer. No, this is not a reference to Lindsay Lohan, who has been so frequently maligned in this space. This is a reference to Spears, who has designed a line for Candies that will be sold at Kohl’s. What has Spears recently donned that would make anyone believe that she has taste? What has she worn that was unique?
We have confused garish outlandishness for creative swagger. Lady Gaga has worn clothes designed by some of the top names in the fashion business: Treacy, Armani and the late McQueen. The effect has been dazzling — but it has just been stuff. The get-ups have not advanced the conversation about style or brought any dynamic, intellectual topic to the table. Sure, she tells her fans to be free, to be who they were meant to be. That’s nice. But that doesn’t make a person iconic, says Givhan.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients