Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has leukemia
NBA legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar announced he was diagnosed with leukemia.
I had the privilege of meeting him several years ago, and he seemed like a genuine person. The outcome for a leukemia patient is usually gloomy, but I hope he pulls through.
The Associated Press story is posted below via NewsOK.
BY BEN WALKER OF THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is being treated for a rare form of leukemia, and the basketball great said his prognosis is encouraging.
The NBA’s all-time leading scorer was diagnosed last December with chronic myeloid leukemia, he told The Associated Press on Monday.
The 62-year-old Abdul-Jabbar said his doctor didn’t give any guarantees, but informed him: “You have a very good chance to live your life out and not have to make any drastic changes to your lifestyle.”
Abdul-Jabbar is taking an oral medication for the disease. He is a paid spokesman for the Swiss pharmaceutical company Novartis, which makes a drug that treats the illness.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10710Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10389Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10187Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9807Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6458Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4074Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4073Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3712OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3641Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 3479How to help tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients