The 2010 NAACP Image Awards highlights
The NAACP Image awards aired live on the Fox network Friday (Feb. 26). Highlights from the show are posted below in the Associated Press article. Click here to view the photo gallery. Click here for a complete list of winners.
ASSOCIATED PRESS via NewsOK.
It was a winning night for “Precious” at the 41st NAACP Image Awards.
The heart-wrenching tale of an illiterate and abused teen who finds hope in a Harlem classroom was named outstanding motion picture and outstanding independent film at Friday’s ceremony. Stars Mo’Nique and Gabourey Sidibe, screenwriter Geoffrey Fletcher and director Lee Daniels also won.
Daniels excitedly accepted the best-picture prize, surrounded by his cast and fellow producers.
“No one in Hollywood told me they wanted to see a movie about a 350-pound black woman with HIV,” he said.
Sidibe objected, and Daniels corrected himself: “She’s not 350 pounds. This was before you were hired.”
The director twice told the orchestra to stop playing him off, but Daniels was ultimately cut off as gospel duo Mary Mary took the stage and the show came to a close.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 28939Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 26978Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 5000Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 2753Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 2336Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 2282Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients