Look out Susan Boyle, Gabourey Sidibe's mom's got talent
NEW YORK (AP) — Oscar-nominated actress Gabourey Sidibe (GA’-buh-ray SIH’-dee-bay) isn’t the only one in the family with talent.
NEW YORK (AP)–In a segment that aired Tuesday night, her mom, Alice Tan Ridley, auditioned for “America’s Got Talent” and wowed the audience with her performance.
An NBC spokeswoman confirms the 58-year-old Ridley tried out for the reality show in late April. Her rendition of the Etta James classic “At Last” brought the audience to their feet, and the judges unanimously voted to send her through to the next round in Las Vegas.
NBC says it doesn’t believe the judges knew who Ridley was before the taping. She identified herself as a singer who’s been performing in New York subways for the past 20 years.
Sidibe made her acting debut in the critically acclaimed film “Precious: Based on the Novel `Push’ by Sapphire.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15155OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10481Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 7111Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6362Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 6344Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5951Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4162As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 4151Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3884Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 3305Record lottery prize is a powerful draw for Oklahomans
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients