'True Blood' star ‘go to guy' for panther work
NEW YORK (AP) —“True Blood” star Ryan Kwanten says he’s the “go to guy” when a production calls for working with panthers though he has a healthy fear of them.
Real panthers were used in the HBO series, and Kwanten said Thursday he was supposed to work with a panther in his new Australian Western “Red Hill” until he learned the feline turned on its owner in a deadly attack.
Instead, Kwanten acted while writer/director Patrick Hughes pretended to be the feline off camera. Kwanten joked that it was his “finest bit of acting to keep a straight face and try to stay in it while my director was licking his paws and carrying on.” Another panther was filmed for scenes added in later.
Kwanten, who plays Jason Stackhouse in “True Blood,” said the hairs on his back stand up when panthers are on the set, but the animals are always chained.
“You’re definitely on your toes” when working with the big cats, he said.
He likens a panther growl to a cat’s purr amplified a thousand times. It evokes a “primeval kind of feeling,” he said.
The HBO series features the animals as were-panthers, a panther-werewolf hybrid.
“Red Hill” debuts in theaters Nov. 5.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 43037Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15155Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9718Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8776Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8708Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7875Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7675Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7121Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6968Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5760Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients